Thursday, December 04, 2003

Downtown Maturin and a New Digital Camera

I am spending a lot of time in Maturin, Eastern Venezuela and one part of the assignment will be to photograph oilfield installations in this petroleum-rich province. This morning (very early) we drove through downtown for the first time in daylight, so I took this photo through the windshield.

Before I left Houston I decided to buy a new digital camera. Camera Co-op, my favorite camera store in Houston, showed me a number of models and I ended up with the Fujifilm Finepix S7000, a new model which is Fuji's "pro-consumer" model of the month (digital cameras must be on an exponential model upgrade curve). The S7000 is a 6 megapixel model with 12 megapixel interpolation, giving 35 meg files, almost as detailed as our Nikon slide scanner.

Like all digital products the camera takes some getting used to but the results have been quite pleasing. Later I'll do a more detailed review and make some comments about the accessories that are really necessary in this digital age.
Is film dead at focalplane.com? No. The F5 is still a great camera and slide film is an excellent medium.