Sunday, June 25, 2006

Argentina 2 - Mexico 1

I find it difficult to watch an entire World Cup game these days. There is something about most soccer games that reminds me I have better things to do, like re-organize my sock drawer (well, that's not true, I don't even have a sock drawer). The Germany Sweden game was a good example, being one-sided and often quite boring. I gauge boring as being in evidence when the commentator starts counting the number of consecutive passes.

But the Argentina-Mexico game was 120 minutes of riveting football. In the end Argentina deserved the win but Mexico played brilliant football against the favorites. I seriously doubt England could come up with a similar display (I hope I am wrong). The hype surrounding England's future will be tested this evening and I rather fear that the nation will, once again, be let down, even if England does defeat Ecuador.