Friday, August 04, 2006

Most Interesting (Flickr)

South Devon Coast HDR

This photo was taken last week, processed on August 1 and has been viewed by over 600 Flickrites already! It is now my "most interesting" photo on Flickr acording to their rating system. It certainly is one of my favorites. Although I took the photo, I have to say that Nature provided the subject, for which She should be duly recognized!

Technically, this photo is a combination of five identical frames with a -2, -1, 0, +1, +2, range of exposures. These handheld shots were then loaded into Photomatix and, using gentle fingers on that program's controls, the result is a true tone HDR image.

HDR (High Dynamic Range) processing is relatively new and the subject of much abuse. After making several gratuitous excessively toned images, some of which I like:

Stormy Weather

I have settled down with the true tone end of the HDR spectrum. More on this subject later!