Sunday, October 29, 2006

Canadian Pacific #29

Canadian Pacific #29 - HDR (2)

I've been working today (Saturday) and will be again tomorrow in order to meet deadlines. But all work and no play is no fun, so I took off mid-afternoon to photograph this fine preserved steam locomotive on 9th Avenue, downtown Calgary. First I stopped for a late lunch at an Irish pub as I hadn't eaten all day (Breakfast at 6:30 a.m.) as it was bloody cold and I needed some fuel! Then, feeling a lot warmer, I took a series of photos including this five exposure HDR image.

I am not at all sure I like this, but the reason for doing HDR was that the contrast between dark paint and bright sunlight was so great I knew it would help. In fact there is still too much dynamic range so I may go back and try some different settings.

Then I walked one block north and took this:

8th Avenue Conversation

We have admired this piece of street statuary for some time but this is the first time I have photographed it.