Sunday, October 29, 2006

Sunday Snow

Sunday Snow

I woke up this morning to snow. Not a lot but enough to cover the streets early on a Sunday morning and make the sidewalks a little treacherous. The photo above was taken out the office window at 8:30 a.m. Yes, on a Sunday!

Calgary has an excellent system of First Floor bridges and corridors that link many of the downtown buildings. It's called the Plus 15 because it is approxiamtely 15 feet above street level. During the week it is a hive of activity with coffee shops, sandwich bars and so on serving the huge workforce (the building I am in has at least 1,200 workers). But at weekends it is a home for the homeless, assuming they escape the eye of the security guards (who, in some cases, may turn a blind eye). And not all of it is open, as I discovered just after I had woken up three homeless individuals asleep on the hard floor. Retracing my steps I ventured outside and carefully walked the six blocks from hotel to office. I met two other souls.

The temperature is officially -8ºC and it feels like -20ºC according to accuweather.com. It didn't seem that bad to me but I wasn't out in it for very long.

It continues to snow, very small flakes, a sort of frozen drizzle. The wind is starting to drift what has already fallen but I am sure the city will have their equipment out before too long - this isn't the UK, after all!