Thursday, February 22, 2007

"Get a Mac" 1996 style

It turns out that all those Get a Mac ads have a precursor dating back to the mid 1990s when the Duo 230 existed (and that was a neat computer by the way!)

I have to say that I don't think the modern Get a Mac ads work very well. Perhaps this is because I use my Mac within what is the Windows dominated business environment. If Apple really are only going after the home computing environment, what does this tell the developers of business oriented software?

There is also an interesting contrast between the US guys and the UK guys when it comes to the Mac vs Windows PCs. I really don't like the UK characters; I find the US "PC" a much more amusing character than his UK equivalent who seems to sneer.

The stock market analysts are convinced that Apple's share of computers will continue to rise. There will possibly come a time when Apple will no longer be the underdog it is today (I am not suggesting > 50% market share here, but maybe as large a market share as HP or Dell). When that happens the current ad campaign may look just a little strange.