Wednesday, February 21, 2007

"One thing I suspect we can all agree is that congestion is bad"

That's quite a long sentence for Tony Blair! But it is symptomatic of his way of telling us that he knows best. I imagine this is how he speaks to his cabinet members, expecting the usual sycophantic responses. I have to say that I admire the honourable member for Birmingham Ladywood more and more for her stand against this Government.

The quote comes from the automatic response sent out to 1.8 million e-mail petitioners concerning the proposed introduction of road-pricing. Here are a few more snippets (soundbites if I was reading them aloud):

"Our aim is to relieve traffic jams, not create a "Big Brother" society"

"I fully accept that we don't have all the answers yet"

"The public will, of course, have their say, as will Parliament"

"Yours sincerely, Tony Blair"