Wednesday, April 18, 2007

Why I am a republican

I haven't bothered to read much about the split between William Windsor and Kate Middleton, but what I have seen simply confirms my belief that the UK would be better off as a Republic (not that the present batch of politicians could muster one candidate for President between them!)

Today I read this commentary by Jan Moir, always an interesting read, and give you this quote:

. . . a glance along David Cameron's front bench confirms it to be stuffed with old Etonians, as snug as oiled pilchards in a very privileged tin.

I don't think I have ever met an Old Etonian, but this description does seem to serve up a memorable image of the aristocracy that still has a disproportionate amount of influence over the lives of "regular" people.

And I never did like pilchards.