How do you deter house flies from entering your home? Well, a few ideas gleaned from various sources include:
1. Fresh herbs - in particular eua-de-cologne mint, penny royal, rosemary, rue, thyme and tansy. Place them in vases around the house.
2. Mint is a good fly repellant - sachets of crushed mint placed around the home may discourage flies.
3. A small cheesecloth bag containing bay leaves, cloves and eucalyptus can be hung by open windows and doors.
4. Eucalyptus oil impregnated in a damp cloth.
5. Plastic bags filled with water are supposed to be an effective deterrent.
6. Bright yellow objects keep flies away.
7. Water. For example, hose water around the outside of the house every day (a very French solution, perhaps?)
Or you can buy poison sprays and vapor sticks but these don't seem to work anyway!
So, herbs it is - we are going to have one helluva herb garden!