Tuesday, November 13, 2007

I want an iPhone, but. . .

We are supposed to be living in a global economy. What rubbish! Here's why I think so.

I would like to use a UK iPhone except I don't have a bank account in the UK for the O2 direct debit. As a result I can't. Not only that, since I have an Apple iTunes account in the US, I cannot have (and don't want to have, thanks very much) a UK iTunes account. Yet it would appear that I need to have a UK iTunes account in order to activate the iPhone.

I am not sure why this is, but the fact that everything costs more in the UK may have something to do with it.

I e-mailed O2 about this four weeks ago. No reply, not even an automated response to be followed up later. So I do wonder about their customer service capabilities.

(There is a work around for all this but it is not so elegant. Why buy an elegant, easy to use device if the process is anything but elegant? Well, we'll see, those unique iPhone functions are very tempting!)