Wednesday, November 07, 2007

More on the Airlines

Well, if you read my last post you will know that I was not too pleased with Brussels Airlines a.k.a. "Son of Sabena". The follow up news is that I arrived in Kinshasa on time after two excellent flights on Kenya Airways, the "Pride of Africa".

But there is one more twist to the story at Heathrow. Brussels were supposed to give us vouchers for meals, etc. at Heathrow but when we arrived there was no-one there at their desk. We were referred to British Airways with whom they code share. I knew this was not going to be easy but I was surprised just how ugly the BA staff could be when approached with a request for information and assistance. before I had even finished my explanation as to why we were talking to them, the woman interrupted me with the statement, "If the problem was weather related we won't give you any vounchers!" Now I had not mentioned the weather at all, but BA had cancelled numerous flights because of fog, so she presumably assumed this was the problem and would be the best way of ridding me.

Ironically, KLM later gave us vouchers that they obtained from BA, to the tune of £10 per passenger. The vouchers were in time for a very late lunch following no meals since a 5:30 a.m. check in time at Birmingham.

The moral of this encounter surely is that a little generosity in the form of a voucher to a customer would have gone a long way. KLM earned my respect and future business. BA did quite the opposite. BA, the "World's Favourite Airline"? Not mine.