Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Rock'n'Roll Memories - 1 - The Yardbirds

If it were not for Wikipedia, this series could never be as my memory of various concerts over the years is far from perfect or accurate. While trawling Wikipedia recently I dicsovered that I had, in fact, heard Eric Clapton live, yet I had never understood the significance at the time.

The year was late 1964, my first year at Southampton University. Chamberlain Hall, where I lived for the first "freshman" year, had a big annual dance event and the Yardbirds were booked as the main act. Like so many bands at the time, their fame materialized while they were playing these pre-booked gigs, so we got to see a "famous" band more than once as they were in the process of writing their own histories.

The line up at the time was:

Keith Relf - lead vocals, harmonica
Eric Clapton - lead guitar
Chris Dreja - rhythm guitar
Paul Samwell-Smith - bass, backing vocals
Jim McCarty - drums, backing vocal

I seriously remember very little about their session. As one of the first "big" bands I witnessed, I was obviously impressed at the time but there is nothing special coming through the memory banks. Such was not the case a year or so later when The Who came to the Students Union.

Next up - 2 - Long John Baldry and the Hoochie Coochie Men with Rod Stewart