Wednesday, November 14, 2007

Rock'n'Roll Memories - 6 - The Seventies

I missed out on the Seventies when it came to Rock'n'Roll. Sure, I watched Top of the Pops and bought a few albums, but parenthood and going overseas put paid to the opportunities to continue to enjoy the raw scenes of early Rock'n'Roll. So it was that I never had the chance (or the money!) to travel to see Cream, Bowie, Led Zeppelin or ELO, just some of my favorites.

The seventies really stood for what most people think of today as the Sixties. While the Sixties probably did happen at the corner of Haight and Ashbury, it really didn't happen many other places. We wished it could but it didn't! So it wasn't until the 1970s that many young peoples' collective desires actually started to materialize. For example, sex, drugs and rock'n'roll didn't take off until the 1970s. Whether that was good or bad is another story.

So, what were the great albums I can remember from those days? Well, it's difficult to tell from this vantage point in 2007. Several I own were not even bought until ten or fifteen years later. I became more interested in American "white" music at the time, enjoying the sound of Creedence Clearwater Revival among others.

But I do remember seeing an "EC is God" graffiti on London's Kings Road in the early 70s. That could just be my one significant memory of the decade!

So, fast forward to the Eighties!

Earlier Memories: The Yardbirds - Long John Baldry - The Who - Screaming Lord Sutch - Chuck Berry