Monday, November 05, 2007

S A B E N A

I am penning this and uploading courtesy of free WiFi at the KLM Lounge at Heathrow Terminal 4. So why is the title of this post not K L M ?

Let me explain. The Belgian Airline, Sabena, failed a few years ago and arose, phoenix like, as SN Brussels, later Brussels Airways. They fly to Kinshasa, which is where I am headed, though normally I fly Air France to Brazzaville and then cross the Congo to Kinshasa. The Air France flight has been full for a couple of weeks.

This morning I showed up at Birmingham International for the 6:30 a.m. flight to Brussels. Only there was no "equipment", meaning the plane didn't arrive the evening before. "The flight has been cancelled and your reservation on the onward flight to Kinshasa has been deleted." So how am I going to get there?

"We have you booked on a Kenya Airways flight from Heathrow to Nairobi, leaving at 7 p.m. this evening. Then there is a good connection on (or back) to Kinshasa, getting you there about 13 hours late. We have a taxi to take you to Heathrow."

Which will be just in time for an important, nay, critical meeting.

We'll see what happens. Kenya Airways code-shares with KLM which is why I am in their lounge. All I can say is TGfKLM!

And what does the acronym stand for? Such A Bad Experience Never Again.

Son of Sabena lives on!