Monday, November 03, 2008

When RSS is useless

And I mean USELESS! Although others are guilty, the BBC is possibly the worst offender. The following is a screen shot of an RSS feed item received today:

Just what does this mean? It isn't possible to gain any knowledge from the headline or the "body" of the report. It is simply a hook, designed to get you to visit the website. Now I would understand a commercial site doing this but the BBC is non-profit, paid for by an increasingly unwilling public through the license fee.

I rather imagine a couple of out-of-touch BBC executives discussing how to get more people to visit the site coming up with this strategy.

By the way, I refused to click through so I don't know who she is, or what movie. To be honest I don't really care.

But if you want an example of a really good RSS feed strategy, look no further than Wired!