Thursday, January 22, 2009

Maybe I'm "old school" too?

A year or so ago I was sitting in a meeting listening to some wise words from a man who has maybe 50 years hands on experience doing what he does. Two young "turks" sitting next to me looked at each other and rolled their eyes.

"Old School", said one.

"Yeah", agreed the other.

At the time I let it ride. But the comment festered inside me. Just what is so wrong with being "old school" anyway, I thought?

And to be truthful, there is nothing wrong with experience. Goodness knows, the way we don't learn from past mistakes is living proof that as a society we don't put a whole lot of stock in experience.

I think I'm reasonably good with new fangled technologies and I have certainly embraced the social media thing with a modicum of enthusiasm. But recently I have been researching and quietly monitoring some of the new concepts, such as Twitter, Facebook, etc. and I simply don't get them. I usually feel I'm eavesdropping at a party when reading a Twitter "stream", a sort of public SMS that maybe I shouldn't be reading at all. Certainly, I have no desire to join in and correspond with what appear to be sound bites.

That's not to say I disagree with these social media tools. It is simply not my scene. In fact one of my (rarely broken) rules is never to mention what I am doing until I can talk about it in the past tense. I suppose I don't really want anyone to know exactly where I am as I write.

People much younger than I don't seem to have this problem. Good for them! It must be a generation thing.