Saturday, November 07, 2009

A new camera!

During the summer my Canon SD1000 failed me. Apparently this is a common feature with small Canons that have a mechanically protruding lens. One speck of dust and the mechanism fails. Whole websites are dedicated to the problem but Canon refuses to accept any responsibility.

So I decided that a more reliable camera should replace it and a waterproof, shockproof camera seemed to be the best solution. There are a number of them out there but the one that suited me best was the Pentax Optio W80. This was partly because I would be able to use my existing SD memory card. The W80 has formidable specs but it remains a point and shoot camera, so it is always interesting to see what happens when it is pushed to the limits. The photo below was taken at the telephoto limit (5x) of a jack up rig some 24 kilometers off shore from Pointe Noire, Congo. The fishing boats in the foreground are much closer. Conditions were not ideal for good photography, so the result really isn't bad at all. If you click on the photo you will see a maximum quality jpeg which is 9MB large.